What does it mean to "Import a Customer List"?
Importing a customer list is when you take previous customer data that you have collected and merge it with the data in your CityGro Portal.
When should I "Import"?
The following are examples of when you should "Import"
- When you want to preload data for your customers when they "checkin" to the kiosk.
- When you want to communicate with past customers via email or text
How do I "Import a Customer List"?
- Before doing anything else make sure that the data file you want to upload is scrubbed and cleaned. This means you must remove duplicate contact info, each column is for a single data field, each row is a unique contact, there are no blank rows between contacts, etc.
- By default, import functionality is disabled for all customers. This is done to prevent unethical use of our messaging tools. We dislike being used to spam just as much as you dislike receiving it. Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or call (888-605-8350) to request access to the Import section, and we'll be happy to activate it for you.
- You will be sent a form to sign, declaring that each contact on your list has given you consent to send them texts and emails. Sign the form (complete all of it) and then email it back to CityGro.
- After you have received confirmation of access, log into to your CityGro account.
- Go to the Contacts Section of the CityGro Portal.
- Once you're on the Contacts home screen, you'll see that along the lefthand side in the navigation bar, there's a new option: Import. Click that and you'll be ready to start the upload process.
Setup is Easy!:
- Select the file you would like to import. This file must be a .CSV or .XLS format.
- Decide on the following setup options.
- Add all to a group- Do you want to pre-assign each contact to a group?
- Opt-In Message- Contacts that are opted into Text Message Marketing would receive an immediate notification that they have been "opted in".
- Update existing contacts by: The option allows you to update your existing contacts. If you select phone number then it will look to match phone numbers from the import. If you already have contacts on your CityGro account then we recommend updating by phone number.
- Conflict Policy- This is where you determine what to do when a value already exists in the system. You can "Skip" or "Override" the data.
- Default Values- If you want to pre-assign a value to a contact that isn't in the import. Select this option to setup the pre-assigned values. The most common values to pre-assign are the opt-ins. Here are the steps to tell our system that a contact has given you express written consent to send them messages:
- Select “Edit Values”
- Click “Set Field” and choose “SMS On”
- “Operation” = “Set To”
- The “Value” needs to say “Yes”
- Repeat these steps for email (“Email On”) if needed
- Accept Liability- When importing a list of contacts you want to ensure that you previously had their permission to reach out to them. Since this permission was gathered outside of CityGro you must accept liability.
- Next, you will match the import data to your data fields inside CityGro. To do this, you will need to use the pulldown menu on the top of each column. Match the "First Name" column with the "First Name" Data field. Any column that doesn’t have a field selected above it will not be uploaded with the contact.
- When everything is ready to be imported, select “Start Import”.
- Your file will be uploaded and you will see your new contacts under the contacts tab.